Marco Kurz was officially unveiled as Melbourne Victory’s new Head Coach at a press conference in Melbourne on Wednesday.
Kurz arrived at the club earlier this week, becoming only the sixth Head Coach of Victory, and has wasted no time preparing for the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season.
Speaking alongside Melbourne Victory Chairman, Anthony Di Pietro, Kurz explained his excitement to take the helm of the biggest club in Australia as well as his immediate focus to build a strong, competitive squad in time.
“I’m very excited. To play against Victory in the past, it was the team we wanted to beat more than any other team in the league,” Kurz said.
“But now I’m on the opposite side, and we will do our best to play a good football style for our members and fans.
“There are also squad positions that must be filled with high quality players. At the moment we are in discussions with players from overseas and Australia as well – our focus is building a strong and talented team. But it needs time.”
WATCH: Marco Kurz’s first press conference
Di Pietro echoed Kurz’ vision for the future of the club and insisted that big signings were coming.
“We want to provide every resource we possibly can to support Marco,” said Di Pietro.
“There’s quite a bit of work to build the squad, which is an amazing opportunity and we think that, with what we can support Marco with and his leadership, he’s a perfect fit.
“He’s a passionate person, as we’ve all learned, and with the right resources, it’s an exciting time ahead that I’m sure our members and fans can be excited about.
“We have a marquee position available, and as Marco said there’s a number of discussions underway at the moment, it’s too early to tell – but watch this space.”