No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Jan 25, 2010   |  12:53AM AET

Reds outpoint Victory Youth

Reds outpoint Victory Youth

Two second-half goals from Melbourne Victory Youth took the gloss off what was an otherwise dominant 4-2 win for Adelaide United at Epping Stadium on Sunday.

Two second-half goals from Melbourne Victory Youth took the gloss off what was an otherwise dominant 4-2 win for Adelaide United at Epping Stadium on Sunday.

A Dane Milovanovic own-goal and Nathan Elasi penalty on 78 minutes sent a scare through the Reds- camp after they had earlier put Melbourne to the sword to lead 4-0.

The Reds went into half time just 1-0 up with Perry Mitris- goal on 24 minutes the visitor-s only reward to come from a bevy of first-half chances.

It wasn-t until after the break that the floodgates opened with Adelaide scoring through a Milovanovic penalty, Francesco Monterosso and a long-range finish from Inseob Sitin to get the goals its dominance warranted.

A bigger Reds side physically out muscled Melbourne on occasions, constantly setting up attacks in the midfield with Sarkies and captain Matthew Mullen pulling the strings.

Melbourne threatened to break with telling effect at times and did just that on 13 minutes when Elasi broke through the Adelaide defence.

The Reds were stretched momentarily with Victory teammates streaming forward in support, but Elasis- shot-cross from the left was blasted well over.

Moments later Joseph Wright cut in from the right for Adelaide and saw his left-foot shot almost scrape the cross bar to send a warning to the home side.

Then on 24 minutes Adelaide put Melbourne on the back foot.

From corner, former Victory man Kristian Sarkies played the ball out to a grateful Mitris, the left back had time to set and shoot through a crowded box into the top left corner as a static Melbourne defence looked on.

Then shortly after the break Adelaide made sure of its lead with Milovanovic slamming home a 49th minute penalty.

The Reds continued the rout on 53 minutes as Monterosso nodded home a Mullen cross, before Sitin made it four with a glorious 25-yard long shot that deceived Victory keeper Sebastian Mattei.

That made the points look safe but as Adelaide went to sleep, Tedros Yabio pounced on a low Elasi cross to bundle home what was eventually deemed an Adelaide own goal.

Final substitute Mate Dugandzic limped off injured a few minutes later as Melbourne was forced to play the remaining 20 minutes with 10 men.

That didn-t seem to phase the Victory who were handed a glimmer of hope as a free kick on the edge of the box struck an Adelaide arm with the referee deeming it worthy of a penalty.

Elasi fired home from the spot and Melbourne kept up the pressure to set up a nervy finish.

However, despite two further chances for Yabio, Adelaide saw out the match to secure three impressive away points against a fast finishing Melbourne side that was outplayed for the most part.

Melbourne Victory 2
(Milovanovic 69og, Elasi 78p)
Adelaide United 4
(Mitris 24, Milovanovic 48p, Monterosso 53, Sitin 61)