Countdown To Kick-Off | The Final Round

Our boys in blue are back in action on Saturday night to take on Western Sydney in the final round of the Isuzu UTE A-League season before we kick off our finals campaign.

The Ultimate Round

Our boys in blue will look to end the season on a high when Western Sydney makes the trip to AAMI Park on Saturday 27 April.

It’s been a mixed few weeks for Tony Popovic’s side, however, with last weekend’s draw against Brisbane, a home elimination final was secured.

A win on Saturday night will all but secure third place on the Isuzu UTE A-League table.

Western Sydney, on the other hand, will have everything to play for.

The Wanderers require all three points, and results to go their way, to ensure a finals berth.

Last Time

Farewelling a legend

After an incredible 18 seasons at Melbourne Victory, the A-League’s games record holder, Leigh Broxham, will call an end to his illustrious career that has seen him take part in four Championships, three Premierships and two Australia Cups at Melbourne Victory.

Having made over 450 competitive appearances for the Club in the A-League, Australia Cup and Asian Champions League, Broxham has also represented his country at senior international level in 2008, when he picked up his sole international cap against Singapore.

Broxham made his name in the competition for his incredible versatility and professionalism, playing in every position across the defence and midfield in his evergreen career.

On Saturday 27 April when our boys in blue face Western Sydney, we will be saying “thanks” to Broxy and his incredible contribution to the Club.

Match Details
Date: Saturday 27 April
Venue: AAMI Park
Gates Open: 6:45pm
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Tickets: Purchase Here

An undefeated Academy

Two stoppage-time goals secured the Victory Academy all three points in Saturday afternoon’s huge top-of-the-table clash with Langwarrin SC.

The stakes were high on a superb Saturday afternoon as the only two undefeated teams in VPL1 met for the first time this season.

The intensity was apparent from the first minute, but it was Victory who almost made the perfect start.

A foul on Kayne Razmovski just inside the penalty area led the referee to point to the spot just seven minutes in, but the subsequent spot-kick from Luka Kolić was kept out by a strong save.

Langwarrin had the ball in the back of the net just minutes later, but the offside flag ensured the score remained 0-0.

The eventful start to the game continued a few minutes later, as Victor Muhindo succumbed to an early injury and was withdrawn, replaced by Marc Petheriotis.

The game became a more even affair after the dramatic start.

Goalkeeper Christian Siciliano was called upon on a handful of occasions, making a series of important contributions on his return to the team.

Langwarrin though had the next golden opportunity, when they were awarded a penalty of their own.

However, the subsequent spot-kick also failed to break the deadlock, rebounding off the post before being cleared away.

The 0-0 scoreline appeared set to hold as half-time approached, but the game went up another gear as it entered the final five minutes of the half.

Victory opened the scoring in the 40th minute, when the substitute Petheriotis latched onto a loose ball at the far post, before nailing a straightforward finish.

Langwarrin though equalised just minutes later, meaning the scores remained level at half-time.

The second 45 started as a much tamer affair, with the half-time team talks resulting in a less chaotic contest.

Siciliano continued to play a key role, as Victory’s attack struggled to achieve the same fluency as has been usual this season.

Jesse Hoey had Victory’s best chance for the majority of the second half, with a long-range strike which swirled in the air, forcing an awkward save from the Langwarrin goalkeeper soon after the hour mark.

Joe Palatsides resisted utilising his bench until the final 15 minutes, when he made a triple substitution which saw Tommaso Minutoli, Jack Mihailidis and Dimi Palatsides all brought into the game.

Nonetheless, the deadlock remained unbroken as the game entered into stoppage time.

Then, Jack Mihailidis made his mark.

A splendid attacking move involving a series of reverse passes unlocked the Langwarrin defence, playing through Mihailidis who thumped home the finish to return Victory to the lead in the first minute of additional time.

A seismic goal in the context of the season, Mihailidis had made the vital contribution towards Victory securing all three points.

As Langwarrin searched for a second equaliser, Victory sprung a lethal counter-attack, as the first-half substitute and goal scorer Petheriotis added a second to his name by finishing off the one-on-one chance.

3-1 the full-time score, as Victory’s two late goals sealed a monumental win.

Joe Palatsides’ side are guaranteed to end Round 10 of the VPL1 season seven points clear on top in what is a glowing reflection of the team’s performances so far.