Men’s Match Report: Victory unable to claim chocolates in Easter Sunday draw

Melbourne Victory’s run of three games in seven days has come to an end in the shape of a 0-0 draw at home with the Perth Glory on Easter Sunday.


Victory dominated 98 minutes of football on a heavy AAMI Park pitch, but were unable to claim a much needed win on a gloomy Melbourne Easter Sunday.

Head Coach Tony Popovic made three changes to the side which took on Melbourne City midweek, handing Bruce Kamau his first start since joining the Club.

Rai Marchan returned to the starting eleven for the first time since overcoming concussion, while Nishan Velupillay was rewarded with a start for his goal in the Derby.

Marchan was quick to show his quality with a raking cross field ball just inside 10 minutes, finding Bruno Fornaroli, who quickly set his sights on fullback Kadete.

Patient play was rewarded with a great chance for the Victory 15 minutes in. Rai Marchan found Nishan Velupillay wide, who controlled the ball with an impressive first touch before finding Kadete’s overlapping run. The fullback’s eventual cross was somehow turned behind for a corner by Perth’s Jack Clisby, a clearance which still has Victory questioning how it stayed out.

Romero came close to adding another to his Victory tally, pouncing on a lobbed ball over the top, striking on the half volley and hitting the upright of Cameron Cook’s Glory goal.

Despite the home side dominating the stats board, both teams went into the half-time break scoreless, prompting changes from both teams early in the second half.

The theme of not being able to convert continued to haunt Melbourne, who opened the second stanza the way they played the first – on top with chances aplenty.

A great chance presented itself for the Victory 77 minutes in when Chris Ikonomidis got around his defender to break forward. The winger found Fernando Romero who looked for strike partner Fornaroli, but Perth cleared at the last second.

The chances kept coming for the Victory, none more promising than the hat trick of efforts which saw Bruno Fornaroli, Stefan Nigro and Lleyton Brooks all try their luck in the same attacking play.

While they were a rarity, Perth still managed to cause Victory some issues, breaking forward on a few occasions on the counter.

A late penalty shout for a challenge on second half substitute Lleyton Brooks had both benches on their feet and VAR involved. The decision to not award a penalty was upheld, but Perth’s Mark Beevers was shown red in the aftermath.

Victory held the lion’s share of possession, chances created, time spent in attacking half, and so much more – but were unable to get the elusive goal they deserved.

It ended 0-0, as Victory ponder what more they could have done to score the goals they needed heading into the final few rounds.


Despite the lack of work to do, Paul Izzo remained alert to keep the Glory out late-on with this top class save.


The 0-0 draw means Victory claim a single point to take them to 25 points, 4 away from the top six.


Isuzu UTE A-League 2022/23 Round 23
Melbourne Victory 0
Perth Glory 0


Victory are off to Sydney next Saturday to take on the Wanderers in Round 24 at Commbank Stadium, kicking off at 7:45 AEST.