Men’s Match Report | Late Drama Sees Points Shared In Sydney

It was a rollercoaster of emotions in Victory’s clash against Central Coast Mariners, ultimately securing a hard-fought 1-1 draw after a late comeback from the home side.

The opening minutes were marked by both teams vying for control, with a series of fouls setting a physical tone.

Fabian Monge was shown a yellow in the 7th minute, and Alou Kuol received a caution in the 29th minute for a similar infraction.

The breakthrough though came in the 31st minute when Chris Ikonomidis was brought down in the penalty area, leading to a spot-kick for Victory.

Daniel Arzani stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner, giving Tony Popovic’s side the lead.

The Mariners had their moments in the first half, notably in the 38th minute when Izzo was forced into action after Will Wilson’s right-footed shot from outside the box. Alou Kuol also had an opportunity in the 43rd minute, but his header from the centre of the box missed to the left.

As the second half kicked off, the game evolved into a physical contest with both sides eager to assert their dominance. Victory found themselves on the defensive, thwarting Central Coast Mariners’ attempts to level the score.

Both Ryan Teague and Daniel Arzani were forced off the ground earlier than anticipated after picking up leg injuries.

Defensively, Adama Traoré was brought on in the 70th minute, aiming to shore up the backline. However, the Mariners pressed on, with Traoré making a crucial block in the 86th minute to deny a promising attempt from Dylan Wenzel-Halls.

In the 89th minute, however, the Mariners orchestrated a dramatic equaliser. Jing Reec capitalized on a precise through ball from Max Balard, delivering a left-footed shot from the centre of the box that found the back of the net.

The final whistle blew and the points were shared in Sydney.

Our boys in blue still remain undefeated and now prepare to face an in-form Wellington Phoenix.



Next Match:
Wellington Phoenix
Date: Fri 19 January
Time: 5pm (AEDT)
Location: Sky Stadium, Wellington