Victory stumbles against Wanderers in W-League


A late goal to Laura Spiranovic wasn’t enough for Melbourne Victory, which went down 3-1 against Western Sydney Wanderers in the Westfield W-League at Marconi Stadium on Sunday.

Melbourne took the iniative in the opening stages and looked intent on banishing its winless run.

Hayley Raso was menacing with her pace, using it to instill fear into the Wanderers rearguard every time she surged forward.

Laura Spiranovic managed the game’s first shot in anger, which was denied by Jada Whyman in goal.

Victory continued to dominate proceedings and was desperately unfortunate not to edge ahead when Christine Nairn’s blast slammed into the woodwork, with Cindy Lay unable to steer the rebound in.

The hosts made their visitors pay only minutes later largely due to Ellie Carpenter’s harrowing run, which gave Michelle Carney the easiest of tap-ins.

Nairn almost bit back immediately with thunderous attempt that Whyman had to deflect clear. 

Dave Edmondson’s charges made a promising start to the second stanza but were again on the end of a sucker punch courtesy of Liz Grey’s powerful header, which flew into the net despite a touch from Briar Palmer.

An immediate response nearly soon followed via the boot of Raso, who was again foiled by Whyman.

It was the home side though which found its third midway through the half from the penalty spot. Keeling Winters was the beneficiary after the referee adjudged that Thea Slatyer had taken down Carney in the area.

Victory eventually found a way through 15 minutes from time. Laura Spiranovic’s neat touch, control and subsequent turn enabled her to cleanly guide the ball beyond the Wanderers custodian.

Melbourne continued to bang down the door in the dying embers of the game, but its efforts ultimately failed to bear fruit.

Victory’s next test will be against Perth Glory in a fortnight’s time.

Western Sydney Wanderers 3 (Carney 23′ Grey 55′, Winters 68′)
Melbourne Victory 1 (Spiranovic 75′)