Victory women notch first win


Melbourne Victory picked up their first points of the season, edging out Newcastle Jets 1-0 in an entertaining Westfield W-League clash at Simonds Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Melbourne Victory picked up their first points of the season, edging out Newcastle Jets 1-0 in an entertaining Westfield W-League clash at Simonds Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Victory defender Rebekah Stott scored the game’s only goal seconds before half-time after a goalmouth scramble.

The Jets’ hopes of a comeback were severely reduced late in the game when Stacey Day received her marching orders for two fouls in quick succession.

Newcastle eased into the game early creating a number of chances but once the Victory got a foothold, the Jets were reduced to playing counter-attack after long bouts of Melbourne possession.

Both sides created most of their attacking moves down their left hand side with Stephanie Catley providing countless crosses for the Victory and Gema Simon getting in behind the defence for the Jets.

The away side started brightly, with the lively Simon terrorising the Victory down the left flank in the first ten minutes.

Simon nearly created the opening goal for the Jets when she slid a cross to Huster at the back post, who couldn’t quite apply the finishing touch.

After absorbing early pressure from the Jets, Victory stamped their authority on the game in the last 20 minutes of the half.

Gulcan Koca, who had been busy dealing with Simon’s probing runs, got forward and curled a quality ball to Catley at the back-post, but the Victory winger could only volley first-time over the bar.

Most of Victory’s attacks came down the left-hand side through Catley and it was fitting that she was involved in the opening goal seconds before the half-time whistle.

After Amy Jackson was fouled in a central position, Catley delivered a flighted cross into the mass of bodies in the penalty area and Stott managed to divert it into the net.

The goal was a blow to the Jets as they entered the dressing rooms, but a just reward for the Victory with all their relentless attacking late in the half.

The Victory emerged hungry for more in the second half with Enza Barilla and Jackson putting good chances wide early.

Jets goalkeeper Eliza Campbell kept her side in the match denying Jessica McDonald, who was put through one-on-one by a wonderful lofted Cindy Lay through-ball.

In Newcastle’s best chance to equalise, the energetic Huster whipped a wonderful free kick into the danger area.

An approaching Stacey Day managed to flick Huster’s delivery on and substitute Tara Andrews headed straight at Victory keeper Brianna Davey from six yards.

Newcastle’s fight-back suffered a blow on 81 minutes when Day was sent off after receiving two yellow cards in the space of 45 seconds – the first for dissent and the second for a tug on Victory substitute Laura Spiranovic.

Spiranovic, a local Geelong girl, had the crowd on their feet just before full-time, squandering a golden opportunity to ice the game.

After receiving the pass in space from Barilla, the Victory striker slammed a shot straight at the superb Campbell, who also saved a follow-up shot from Barilla.

The Victory held off the Jets in the closing stages and recorded their first win of the season, jumping above Newcastle on the W-League table in the process.

Melbourne Victory 1 (Stott 45+2)
Newcastle Jets 0

Melbourne Victory: 1. Brianna Davey, 2. Danielle Johnson, 3. Maika Ruyter-Hooley (c), 4. Rebekah Stott, 7. Stephanie Catley, 9. Tiffany Eliadis (5. Laura Spiranovic 74) 10. Jessica McDonald, 14. Enza Barilla, 15. Amy Jackson, 17. Gulcan Koca, 18. Cindy Lay (12. Jackie Vogt 82)

Newcastle Jets: 1. Eliza Campbell, 2. Hannah Brewer, 3. Hayley Crawford (c), 4. Gemma Pearce, 5. Tori Huster, 6. Angela Salem, 7. Gema Simon, 14. Sammara Schmitzer (12. Tiffany Boshers 45) 15. Alisha Foote (11. Kate Hensman 70) 16. Stacey Day, 18. Michaela Hatzirodos (9. Tara Andrews 61)