Women’s Match Report: Five unbeaten for Victory following tough Wellington draw

Melbourne Victory claimed a point from their visit to Porirua Park on Sunday afternoon, the game finishing 2-2 after a thrilling first half.


Melbourne Victory headed to New Zealand in search of their fourth win in five games, but were coming up against one of the form teams of the season in Wellington Phoenix.

Jeff Hopkins’ team started the game brightly, making several ventures into the Phoenix penalty area within the first 10 minutes.

The best chance fell to Rachel Lowe following a superb run and cross from Beattie Goad, but the header was narrowly directed off target.

Victory though would not have to wait long for their opener, as a corner was awarded a few minutes later, with Goad once again delivering a pin-point cross which was headed home by Kayla Morrison.

A deserved goal after a strong start, with game heading in the right direction early for Victory.

Wellington though hit back hard, scoring twice in under 10 minutes to turn the scoreline on its head.

Kate Taylor and Emma Main were the scorers, with Victory needing a quick turnaround to get back into the game.

Fortunately for the visitors, Kurea Okino appears to have found her goal scoring form in recent weeks and took it upon herself to drag the team back level.

An exquisite finish from an unlikely angle saw the Japanese striker score her second goal in two matches, giving Victory a much needed equaliser before half-time.

All square at the break, the first half had proved to be a breathless contest.

The second 45 was a calmer affair, with both teams able to settle more comfortably into their defensive shapes.

Hopkins turned to his bench after an hour played, with Paige Zois and Ella O’Grady brought on in an effort to turn the game back in his side’s favour.

Chances though remained hard to come by, with both teams proving much more difficult to break down than in the first half.

Sara D’Appolonia and Emma Checker were also brought on in the final 10 minutes as Victory looked to take advantage of a tiring Phoenix defence.

McKenzie Weinert twice came close to finding the winning goal as the game neared its conclusion, with Wellington also having chances to secure all three points.

A draw though was the end result as both teams were forced to settle for a point.

A fifth game unbeaten for Victory who maintain their spot in the top four with eleven points from seven games to start the season.


Wellington Phoenix 2 (Taylor 17′, Main 24′)
Melbourne Victory 2 (Morrison 15′, Okino 37′)

Next Match

Liberty A-League – Round 8
Melbourne Victory v Canberra United
Saturday 16 December
Kick-off: 5.00pm (AEDT)