Match Report | Penalty Shootout Heartbreak

It wasn’t to be for our girls in blue after a penalty shootout heartbreak.

Courtney Newbon was called into action early. Mariners with the first shot of the match from Wurigumula who’s right footed shot from inside the box was no trouble for the Victory keeper.

Kyah Simon nearly opened the scoring for the Mariners in the 12th minute. A pinpoint cross from the Mariners found Simon in traffic who’s glancing header so nearly found the back of the net, instead missing just wide going out for a goal kick.

Victory’s first chance came in the 17th minute on the counter. Rachel Lowe broke away with the ball down the left side with Chids and Privitelli streaming in for support. Lowe found Privitelli in space inside the box but the attacker’s strike was saved by the Mariners keeper, going out for a corner.

It was much of a back-and-forth for the remainder of the first half, with both teams unable to find any way through the other’s defence.

A huge chance came Kayla Morrison’s way on the edge of half-time. A pin-point set-piece cross found the head of the skipper whose header only just flew over the bar.

The Mariners hit the woodwork in the 50th minute, as they looked to start the second half strong.

A breakaway chance came our way in the 65th minute as a brilliant pass over the top of the Mariners’ defence saw Lia Privitelli through on goal. Unable to get her shot off, she instead found Chids streaming in behind her whose shot just flew wide of the post.

A heading chance came the Mariners’ way in the 88th minute. A cross from the left of the box found a Mariners who sent her header flying over the woodwork.

Neither team could be separated as the full-time whistle blew, and we now head to extra time.

Rachel Lowe almost gave our girls in blue the dream start in extra time with a diving header in the 94th minute. Lia Privitelli’s cross found Lowe alone in the box but the attacker’s shot flew wide of the post.

Another big chance came Victory’s way in the 98th minute. Chids streamed in on the left side of the box with pace letting loose a powerful shot, but Casey Dumont was up to the task, battering the ball away for a corner.

After immediately being substituted on, Okino caused chaos by dribbling her way into the top of the box. The striker sent a pass wide to Chids who sent a beautiful through ball to Lowe who streamed in one-on-one with Dumont. Lowe’s shot came heartbreakingly close to finding the back of the net but her shot was cleared off the line by a Mariners defender.

After a chaotic final 15 minutes of extra time, the scores still remained level and we move to a penalty shootout.

Rachel Lowe stepped up first and converted to put Victory up in the shootout.

The Mariners levelled things up with Casey Dumont finding the back of the net.

Alex Chidiac stepped up next, and like Lowe, sent her ball flying into the top corner.

The Mariners scored again through Bryson to make it 2-2 in the shootout.

Alana Murphy was next to step up for Victory but her shot was saved by Dumont.

Wurigumula converted for the Mariners to give them a 2-3 lead.

Next for Victory was Paige Zois but the young midfielder’s penalty was once again saved by Dumont.

The Mariners then converted their fourth and final penalty to send them through to the Semi-Finals.

A heartbreak ending to the season for Victory after a hard-fought 120 minutes.